- Store one (1) gallon of water per person, per day
- Maintain a three (3) day supply
- Maintain a three (3) day supply of non-perishable food per person
- Ready to eat can foods like fruits, vegetables, etc.
- Canned soups
- Juice or soda
- High-energy foods like crackers, cookies, peanut butter, jelly, etc.
- Outdoor grills (gas or charcoal) and fuel if needed
- Cans of sterno
- Outdoor cooking pots/pans
- Grill lighter or matches (store in water proof container)
- Sleeping bags
- Sanitation supplies
- Extra clothing
- Extra car/house keys
- Extra pairs of glasses
- Credit card/cash
- Copies of important papers sealed in plastic
Tools and Equipment
- Basic hand tools (hammer, screw driver)
- Flashlights (2), with extra batteries
- Portable radio, with extra batteries
- Fire extinguisher (ABC type)
- Blankets (one per family member)
- Can opener (hand type)
- Plastic garbage bags (box)
- Baby supplies (three day supply)
- Paper and pen/pencils
- Rain gear/jacket
- Warm coat (depending on season)
- Gloves (work type)
- Hand tools (shovels, brooms, etc.)
- Window covering material (roll of heavy plastic or sheets of plywood)
- Portable generator with suitable cords
- Fuel for the generator (in proper container)
Note: Have some plywood cut to window size.
Note: This unit must be set-up outside so the cords are needed to run into the house.
First Aid Supplies
- Prescription drugs (have a three (3) day supply on hand)
- Non-prescription drugs (aspirin, etc.)
- Assorted bandages
- Safety pins
- Moistened napkins (package)
Note: All of these supplies can be purchased in a good quality first aid kit.
Note: An emergency first aid booklet would also be a good idea.