Library Clerk Part-Time
Closed - no longer accepting applications
|Job Title:||Library Clerk Circulation Part-Time|
|Category:||Lovett Memorial Library|
|Additional Status Information:||Part-Time|
GENERAL PURPOSE: Shelving library material after it is turned in. Assist full time staff members in providing library patrons with customer service. 50% of time is spent on circulation desk, 37.5% is spent on projects and circulation desk, and 12.5% is spent shelf reading.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the broad policy guidance of the Children's Librarian or any full time staff member in the absence of the Children's Librarian.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Must be able to follow written and oral instructions as well as effectively communicate with patrons and other staff members. Assemble carts to shelve library material and perform shelf reading duties. Stamp due date cards. Assist with displays, act as greeter for special programs or assist the program administrator with preparations. Assist with processing new materials. clean computer screens, keyboards, and computer tables. Straighten and put periodicals/newspapers in order. Perform any other duties assigned by the Library Director or Children's Librarian.
Work at the Circulation Desk: Check out/discharge library material, renew library cards, renew library material, bill users as needed, take in fine/fee money, mark items used, assist patrons with item searches on card catalog and in library, register new library cards, modify patron records as needed, mark library material lost/missing, place/remove holds on library material for patrons, call patrons when hold/reserved material comes back in, discharge items from book drop, answer the phone, answer computer questions, assist patrons with printing and making copies, help patrons scan and email documents, tutor patrons in the use of the library databases and card catalog. Assist patrons in filling out ILL request form. Perform shelf reading duties to ensure library materials are in the correct order and in the right home location.
NECESSARY EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- GED or High School Diploma is required. Must be able to alphabetize, read, write and speak English. Must have some experience in using computers.
- Must have a positive customer service demeanor, work well with other people (including co-workers), be punctual, have good attendance, and be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- none required, but customer service and computer experience desirable. Previous library experience and Spanish fluency a plus.
- 20 hours - work 4 hours on Saturday & Sunday, and 4 hours Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Applicant must be flexible with schedule which includes mornings, afternoons, and evenings. Library hours are Monday - Friday 8am - 7 pm and Saturday - Sunday 1pm - 5pm.
- Must be able to see small lettering on labels, hear well enough to answer the phone and patron's requests.
- Must be able to stand on feet for 4 hours at a time. Must be able to bend, kneel, carry, stoop, reach above head, twist at the waist, lift 20 pounds, stand on a kick stool, walk across library to assist patrons, and climb 1 flight of stairs as needed. Be able to push book card weighing up to 100lbs.
- Must have good personal hygiene.